Tuesday, June 29, 2010

4th of July Decoration!

This was super fun to make and makes a great statement in my yard for the holiday!!
I think I'm going to hang it up, but currently I just have it resting against my pillars.
I just went into my garage and found all the peices of scrap wood that I could find and pulled them out, and then pieced together a fun pattern. Only had to make a few cuts with my miter saw to make things fit completely. Then I painted each peice a random color. THEN I pieced together what I actually wanted to do with the whole thing and decided what needed to be what color and what should have stars and where to put stripes etc, and then I painted over them again with their new correct colors. If a piece was to have a star, I used a vinyl star decal that I printed on my vinyl printer (*a star stencil would do the trick greatly) and put it on before painting over the other color. That way the star would be UNDER the other color. With a stencil, it's going to be opposite but I really like the look of the star coming through this way. Although both are very nice looking.
In the end, I sanded all the edges and antiqued the whole thing and then stained over it with a dark stain. I highly recommend using a clear polyurethane spray to weather proof this if you are intending to keep it outside like I am. Which means I really should go do what I've highly recommended. =)


My neighbor and friend Ashley and I tackled this project together! This is her beautiful finished project. Are you loving this project???? I am! I want another!

This project was inspired by a reader of knockoffwood in the bragging board, who was inspired by this post from Ana at knockoffwood. Hers was amazingly cute!

Let me know your thoughts and what you plan to plant, build, make, paint, or do!!

3 comments:

JSN Thomas said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I love it!! Can you make me one??? PRETTY PLEASE?!!!! Thanks!! Good job! I think you need to move in next to me so we can craft together! Okay....so maybe you could craft and I could just tell you to make 2 of everything you make so I can have one too!!!

Dayna Jamison said...

My chin is on the floor, you are AMAZING! I can't believe how handy and thrifty and creative you are my goodness! And your garden is awesome, that had to take a long time to set up. You go girl!!!

Anonymous said...

免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天 , 免费视讯聊天