Sunday, May 16, 2010

Orange Star Flower

~ Isn't she lovely? Isn't she wonderful?~
Information on this plant is lacking so I shall share what I've discovered myself!
This is the Chesapeake Series Star of Bethlehem. Botanical name: Ornithogalum Chesapeake Sunset. Also in this series are the Chesapeake Blaze, and the Chesapeake Sunburst. They are truly beautiful flowers! This is my second year having them around, but these pictures are from this year, as I couldn't find my last years pictures upon lots of searching. They were designed to be container plants. They are generally kept as an indoor house plant although I've read about incidences where they can be kept outdoors over winter - in zones 9 and 10. They do not like frost! They also like to be below temperatures of 90 degrees, anything above that will cause them to become dormant. Preferably a temperature between 65 and 75 would be best. They like bright indirect sunlight, so something just short of full sun. I had/have mine indoors in a window shaded with blinds. (mine is dormant already this year, hence this post -it's me living vicariously through these pictures) and I might go buy another one too. =) I took a few photos to see the different views of the plant, rather than just seeing the blooms in the first picture which is my favorite. I just thought I'd show the full plant in case anyone was interested. Flowers should be pinched off at the base of the stem when spent. This will give the plant the ability to work on giving energy to those flowers that are still healthy, rather than wasting energy trying to help the dying flower. (I tried to word that in a non botanical way considering I'm not a botanist) - though I wish I was!
This year I had a long leaning stem as you can see in the background here. They are supposed to grow about 8-12 inches in height. I'd say that stem was about 10 inches maybe. I speak in past tense because mine has already died off this year. It's a perennial so if cared for right, you can enjoy this year after year. It first blooms in spring (or summer depending) and then dies back. Once the flowers on the whole stem are spent, stems should be cut back, and the stalks and leaves left until they are turning brownish, then you can stop watering and let them become dormant. Don't be sad that your plant didn't last as long as you expected. This is normal. It can produce stems for several months, but individual stems last only about 3-4 weeks. I just dug up my bulbs and am going to let them dry out. I haven't done this before, so it will be an experiment for me. And I plan to replant them next spring early. Perhaps outside! If I'm digging up bulbs anyway, why not plant outside? - after ALL danger of frost that is.

It's a breathtaking display, that's for sure!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jackie Sue.. I just received one as a gift and the leaves started to turn yellow on the ends. I was not sure how much water and if it could be put outdoors.
I see that you might try to store the bulbs. I would be interested in that too. Diane S.

Anonymous said...

I just purchased one of these plants yesterday at Walmart. I so wish I had bought 2 or 3. I did not have much in the way of instructions and I was thrilled to find your blog. Mine appears to be in robust health at this time. The pot the bulbs are buried in does not have a hole in the bottom and so I will have to be careful in watering. I am sure it has received too much water as it is. Your instructions were wonderful and so pleased you took the time to help those of us who needed the help. For sure I cannot plant the plant outside as we live on the Washington Coast and still receive frost at this time. Probably too cool most of the time so I will try to keep it inside in a cooler room.
Thank you for your help.
Donna

Brett & Lisa Lewis said...

WHere do you store this plant when it is dormant? Is there any care that needs to be done while it is dormant?

Anonymous said...

I'm so depressed of looking where to buy this plant....

Anonymous said...

Help me to search where I can buy this plant

Anonymous said...

ooKyas

Anonymous said...

I FOUND MY STAR OF BETHLEHEM AT THE KROGER GROCERY STORE IN ATLANTA AREA.

Shannon said...

Nice article! My friend here in Seattle was given one several months ago (I think), and it's still blooming. She has it here at work in a sunny, northern exposure (no direct sun) window and the plant has thrived. Of course, she gives off really good vibes, too. :-)

Anonymous said...

I was just given the orange star plant for my b-Day and didn't know what is was or how to care for it. Luckily I found on the bottom in very small print the name & went searching to find out how to care for it. Your site is the best one I found. Wanted to thank you for such good information.

Unknown said...

I got mine at a lical kroger grocery store :)

Unknown said...

I got mine at a lical kroger grocery store :)

Sharalyn said...

I too wonder what's causing the tips of the leaves to turn yellow/brown? I have this at my office, on my desk with fluorescent lighting. Didn't know if it's a watering issue or lighting issue.
(I also bought mine at our local Kroger store... after saying "no" to the display a couple of times, I couldn't resist and put one in my cart.)