Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mod Podge Letters!

This is a really cute way to spice up a childs bedroom! I made these for my sister in law for her baby shower with the pertinent info of the childs sex and therefore name. =) I could have afforded to vacuum before taking these pictures but I'm always in a huge hurry so if I wait til things are picture worthy, you won't ever get to see them!
First of all, I shopped around for letters sold in various shapes and sizes. Shapes meaning - different fonts. These letters are sold at Hobby Lobby, Joanns, Michaels, Roberts, and even Walmart. I'm sure many more places! So it might take a few stores until you find the ones that are perfect for you.
Then I shop around (or scavenge the house) for coordinating scrapbook paper, or fabric, and embellishments such as buttons, twigs, ribbon, tuille, cord, anything really! The skies the limit!
And I apologize for not having step by step instruction photos but I then turn my letters upside down and lay them on the back side of my paper (or fabric - I've definitely done both!) and trace around them in pencil. Cut them out, and then turn them around and mod podge (Mod podge can be found at any of the above listed stores in Matte or Glossy - they also sell it in other varieties specifically for paper on paper that I've never tried yet) them to your wood letters by brushing the mod podge directly on the letters and then laying your paper on there and pressing down everywhere eliminating bumps or creases and rubbing it to be flat to the wood. Then you will want to mod podge with a sponge paint brush over the top of the paper as well. Sometimes with fabric, if you are using them as decorations in a room with say a matching quilt (as I will show soon in an upcoming post), then you will want to maybe skip the mod podge over the top as it will make your fabric a little bit darker and a "wet" look.
End your project by choosing and laying out embellishments as you choose to spice up the name a bit and tie together the whole effect. In the picture below, I used ribbon, twine, and buttons to embellish this set.


Clean up your floor woman!



Also note that these pictures were taken pre fastening the embellishments. So unfortunately there are no final photos, but you get the idea! And I could probably provide some of the project in the room in the end. We'll work on that! Thanks for reading! More mod podge letter examples to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute idea!